Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Preacher's Wife

Just think about this for a moment or two. My wife has been the wife of a preacher for over 20 years. She has stood in the background for a long time knowing the life of a preacher. She has not been in the spot light having had four very active and accomplished children.

She was always "Britt's wife," "Lori...Jeff...Anthoney...or Tim's mother." She was very seldom just Lisa. That has been difficult for me lately to deal with. Why? Because I know she is so much more than that. She is awesome. She is amazingly intelligent and resourceful. She knows how to be frugal and how to stretch the food to make it last. She is wonderful as a mother and friend.

This last Saturday, Lisa returned to her roots. She went back to her 30th High School Reunion. She was apprehensive and almost backed out of going. She talked herself into going for at least thirty minutes.

She clung to my hand as we made our way down the corridor, grabbed my arm as we got to the door only to find two of her oldest and best friends waiting for her to arrive. "Lisa" they cried out and the hugs began. I was so thankful that they were there for her. I, on the other hand was the spouse. You know, the one in back, not as included, tolerated (just kidding) but you know the story. She was elated to see people she had gone through elementary, Junior High and High School with. She saw old boyfriends and old school mates and one or two she didn't know. (Out of a class of over 400 can you remember them all?)

Four and a half hours later after pictures, dinner, and more remembering than I could ever do, she looked at me with a smile and said, "It's time to go home" and we did.

Sunday came and once again I "The Preacher" was at the fore front getting all the questions and the thanks and the pats on the back. Well, here is to all those wonderful people who made my wife feel like the girl I married. She was happy. Not that she hasn't been, but she was Lisa Bird again for just four and a half hours. It makes me tear up just writing this down. Those who planned and sacrificed a lot of time did so, at least in my eyes, to make my wife a little happier. I'll never forget that night as long as I live.

No, you can't go back and relive the past. I understand that. But, you can relish in the light that was poured out on your life at those times in the past. Take time to notice the preacher's wife as well.

I'll see you later

No comments:

Post a Comment