Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 9, 2009

What are Friends For?

Roger Felps, probably one of my best friends, had triple bypass surgery yesterday and I was unable to be with him. I wanted to be and felt terrible not being there. It hurt. It was a difficult day trying to pray for him and carry out the rest of my responsibilities for the day. I wanted so badly to be there. I still feel a desire to be bedside making him laugh or sharing stories with him. He was and is so much of an inspiration to me. I have so much I owe to him for his insight and love for me and my family that I want you all to know him as well.

He came through the surgery fine and was sitting up in a chair talking and probably listening to some crazy person telling him their problems just because that is what he does. He is a great listener. But mostly he is my friend. He called me the day he went to the hospital on purpose. He knew I would be there if he had given me enough time and that is his desire. He is my friend.

Roger and I went to Africa in 2001. We spent all but one night together and I still wonder how he slept through the sound of a jet plane taking off every two snores. I know that whether or not Roger ever gets on another train, bus, plane, taxi, motorcycle, subway or eat another meal of some unknown origin he helped me see the world in different eyes and in different ways as his talents were challenged on that trip. It is with family he is his best. He is my friend and I love him and his family for being who they are.

Roger is a Christian. I don't worry about where he will be when he leaves this life. I don't worry about where he will be when God calls us all home. I am concerned about those of us who love him who will miss him. (Right now as he reads this he will be saying "Hey, I'm not leaving yet." )I know that, Buddles, but we are all getting closer.

Keep the two of us in your prayers, specifically my friend Roger.

I'll see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment