Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Culture Changes?

I remember being in Dominica back in the 80's. We had a mission trip to Roseau and Scott's Head. It was wonderful. The thing that was most different to me was that time had little baring on the people there. If something was supposed to happen at 7:00 p.m. it might be 8:30 before everyone gathered so that we could begin.

The first two nights were difficult for me. I was a clock and by the minute guy. If something is supposed to start at that time, be there. My American culture showed loudly. I was filled with nervous anticipation and wanted to be able to get to it!  Now! At the "appointed time"!

I learned that patience is the best when working cross culturally. It taught me a great lesson that I am not the authority as to how things ought to be done. I learned to gently work with the way of life where you are. Punctuality is not demanded unless it is demanded by the culture.

We need to be careful not to push our agenda on those who are not culturally aligned with our culture. They will learn but not necessarily on our time table.

I pray that we will stop pushing people to fit our mold. God wants all men to become His family. He doesn't care what culture they come from or how "on time" they are. We need to be concerned about the spiritual welfare and not the cultural attitudes of those we come in contact with. Teach the word and people who accept the truth will mold their lives to God's way, not our way!

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment