Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

One of My Heroes

Yes, I had a real live hero when I was in fourth grade. 

It was the second day of school and the second day of riding the school bus at the beginning of fourth grade. We had moved over the summer into a three bedroom home on Valentine Ln. in Longview, TX. We were still attending the same school and although we had only moved about two miles down the road from our previous residence the bus riders were a completely different group of students.

When I got on the bus that morning there were only about ten other riders and we added to that number by three. I made my way toward the middle of the bus when I saw it. It was a helmet. A football helmet with a gold Pirate on both sides. "What is he doing with that football helmet?" I asked myself.

My curiosity rose and I moved deeper into the bus to find that not only did he have a helmet but a bag with a complete practice uniform and all the pads and shoes with it. He even had a mouth guard. That was new to me.

I sat in the empty seat in front of this guy with this amazing helmet and uniform. I asked him, "Are you a football player?

"Yeah, I play on the B Team" he said. (Junior Varsity so as not to belittle our youth today).

I didn't care what team he played on. His name was Louis and he was a football player for my school. That made him one of my heroes and he lived just a block away from my family home on Valentine Ln.

I was overjoyed when I got home that afternoon. When dad pulled into the driveway I ran out to meet him with the news. "Dad, I met a real football player. His name is Louis, can we go watch him play?"

Dad gave me a hug and said "We just might!"

We did go to a game on that Thursday. Louis didn't play. He stood on the sidelines and held that beautiful helmet in his hand and watched the game. I think he may have been in the game after we left, probably at half time I would imagine because of school the next day for me.

There are so many young people today who are looking for heroes in their lives who are not necessarily their parents or family members. They are looking for someone to be an example of what they would like to become.

For me, it was a young man with a helmet and uniform. Someone who may not have had a starting position on the team but was still on the team. He was a hero to someone and that someone was me.

There are young people needing good examples of Christian Youth set before them. Are you, even if you are a parent or grandparent, encouraging young people to be representatives of Christ? Are you carrying the uniform that, when seen, brings immediate recognition that represents a belief system that Jesus has inspired. Are you a part of the team or are you sitting in the stands, watching, never participating? Are you looking for team mates or are you sitting back being critical of those who are on the team but are not starters or important parts of the team. Those who are in uniform on the sidelines are a part of the team and are very important to the completeness of the team.

Where are you? Are you carrying the full armor of God? Someone is in need of encouragement seeing others wearing that armor. Pick it up and put it on and be the example of God. Be a part of the team!

I'll see you later!

Ephesians 6:10-18New International Version (NIV)

The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.



No comments:

Post a Comment